Thursday, June 09, 2011

Mama's got a Brand New Bag

Back on the bags again after time off writing a book and lots of teaching... I fancied a bit of sewing, so thought I'd get back into the swing again by transforming my favourite flea market pinny into a bag. 


Here it is, hanging on the back of our front gates. It's a beautiful piece of fabric, with delightful folk art illustrations in lovely soft colours.


As well as my usual Vintage Town label, I've attached the original label from the back of the pinny. I've done a bit of research into the company, Hawkins of Preston, and it seems they produced cotton homewares at their mill in Preston from the 19th century onwards. One of their sales methods was to send mobile shops around rural areas. You can see a great sales brochure on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/5559904062

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here

A paper teacup from my new book

A paper teacup from my new book
A paper tea cup for Mother's day. Even the sugar lump is paper!

Paper cupcakes from my new book

Paper baby shoes from my new book

Paper baby shoes from my new book
a pair of teeny tiny paper shoes to celebrate the birth of a new baby.